Indigenous Literacy Foundation
The Indigenous Literacy Foundation (ILF) is a national charity of the Australian Book Industry, working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander remote Communities across Australia. The ILF is Community-led, responding to requests from remote Communities for culturally relevant books, including early learning board books, resources, and programs to support Communities to create and publish their stories in languages of their choice.
In remote Communities across Australia, there is often no infrastructure such as libraries or bookstores. Access to reading material is extremely limited and this impacts the achievements of Indigenous children.
Since 2011, the Indigenous Literacy Foundation has
- worked with over 400 remote Communities
- gifted 636,100 books
- worked with 83 remote playgroups through Book Buzz
- published 143 books reflecting 26 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander languages.
How booksellers can support the ILF
- Promote your support of ILF on your website, using the assets found here.
- Follow ILF on social media and like, comment and share their posts
- Encourage school customers to get involved with Indigenous Literacy Day and host a Great Book Swap.
- Support the Community Publishing Program
- include First Nations voices into your book selection, see the list of ILF titles here.
- Host a fundraising event in store such as:
- gold coin donation for gift wrap
- gold coin donation at author events
- having an ILF donate point at the checkout counter
- hosting a Great Book Swap
The ILF warmly welcomes photos and stories of bookshops fundraising to share on their social pages.
Indigenous Literacy Day 2022
Indigenous Literacy Day (ILD) is held on 7 September 2022 and is a celebration of the diversity of First Nations Peoples' Stories, Cultures and Languages. To celebrate the day, the Indigenous Literacy Foundation proudly presents in collaboration with Sydney Opera House a National Digital Event. The 20 minute video will premiere at 10.30am AEST and then be available on demand. The engaging online event features children from remote Milikapiti and Jilkminggan, in the Northern Territory who will joyfully share their Stories, Cultures and Languages. Special guests include ILF ambassadors Gregg Dreise and Jessica Mauboy. Visit ilf.org.au/ILD for more information and registration.
Please visit this page to see all assets you may use to promote ILF.