The Indigenous Literacy Foundation is a national charity working with remote Indigenous communities across Australia. Its programs focus on ensuring access to quality resources - including books in first languages - publishing community stories, and supporting and empowering children and families to lead their own literacy futures.
With 2022 - 2032 named the UNESCO International Decade of Indigenous Languages, there has never been a better time for your bookstore to get involved and support this fantastic organisation. If your bookstore isn’t currently fundraising for the ILF, there are only two steps in getting set up:
- Display your QR code in store for your customers to make a donation.
It’s that simple!
Your bookstore can help to generate extra funds for the ILF by:
- Displaying an ILF QR code, or donation box on the counter
- Asking for a donation at any in-store events, such as Book Week, Love Your Bookshop Day
- Donation for gift wrapping
- Stocking and supporting ILF published titles
- Hosting ILF author events
- Including information about ILF in your newsletters
You can also help the ILF spread the word about their vital work by:
- Liking the ILF's socials and spreading the word about the ILF through social media
- Sharing the vision of ILF and encouraging engagement with Indigenous Literacy Day (an annual celebration on the first Wednesday of Sept.)
- Approaching local schools to participate in the annual Great Book Swap
"ILF needs, and deserves, the broadest possible support. But it also depends crucially on the Book Industry out of which it sprung, and on the authors, publishers, and booksellers who have supported it so strongly. Ours is the industry which makes its living out of the literacy of others, and there is no better way to repay that support than by helping those whose literacy needs are the greatest." - David Gaunt, Gleebooks (NSW).