Yes! Any bookshop can redeem an Australian Book Voucher.
1. ABA Inc guarantees bookshops, whether ABA members or not, that once they have exchanged vouchers for books, an agreed monetary amount will be reimbursed on the return of the voucher until the 'valid to' date stamped on the voucher.
2. GST is payable on the redemption of the vouchers, i.e. the exchange of vouchers for books. The vouchers are exchanged for books which have a GST-inclusive value. The bookseller must remit the GST component (1/11 of the value of the books supplied) to the Australian Tax Office. If a customer chooses books of a lesser value than the voucher, it is recommended that the bookseller issue another book voucher or credit note to the value of the difference.
3. To be accepted for redemption, an Australian Book Voucher must:
i. have a 'valid to' date which has not yet been passed.
4. The bookseller must stamp or write 'cancelled' across the front of redeemed vouchers. All cancelled vouchers must be returned by secure post to ABA Inc. for reimbursement.
5. Vouchers returned to ABA Inc. must be accompanied by a completed Claim Form. The Claim Form should include a listing of serial numbers of all returned vouchers.
6. Booksellers will be reimbursed the face value less 11% for returned Australian Book Vouchers. The 11% comprises covers the cost of printing the vouchers, the administration of the scheme including marketing, postage, credit card fees, staffing and the GST. The bookseller can claim back the GST component as an input tax credit.
7. Returned vouchers are processed on the last business day of each month. Cheques for returned vouchers, and a remittance advice/tax invoice showing the GST amount, are sent out the following week, provided a completed Claim Form is received with the returned vouchers.