The ABA Penguin Random House Australia Young Bookseller of the Year award recognises and rewards the excellence of a bookseller 35 or under and promotes bookselling as a career choice for young people. This award gives booksellers the chance to exhibit their retailing skills, and be recognised by their peers, the book industry, and the general community for their career achievements, innovation and outstanding performance in their stores as well as the local and wider community. The recipient of the award will receive $1,000.
We are thrilled to announce the ABA Penguin Random House Young Bookseller of the Year 2020 shortlist:
Anna Carles, Constant Reader Mosman
Suzanne Garcia, Mary Martin Bookshop
Nina Kempster, Harry Hartog Bondi
Claire Leyton, Paperchain Bookshop
Simon McDonald, Potts Point Bookshop
Amy Waddell, Dymocks Hobart
The winner will be announced on Wednesday, 8 July.
1. Nominees must have worked as a bookseller for at least two years and must be working at least 20 hours per week.
2. The candidate must be aged 35 or under on 8th July 2020
3. The nominee can self-nominate or be nominated by a peer, employer, or colleague and work at an ABA member bookshop.
4. The judging is made by a panel. No correspondence will be entered into.
5. Not open to management committee (employees of ABA management committee can be nominated)
5. Previous winners are not eligible to be nominated.
6. CLOSING DATE: 5pm Monday June 15th 2020
2016: Amelia Lush, Better Read Than Dead
2015: Gerard Elson, Readings St Kilda
2014: Helene Byfield, Books Kinokuniya
2013: Louise Fay, Dymocks Adelaide
2012: Megan O'Brien, Shearers Bookshop